|December 13, 2013|
• Reader Reactions
• Opinion & Editorial
• Conscientious Objection
• Femmes Fatal: Women & The Draft
• Backdraft: Historical Perspectives on Conscription
• Poetic Justice: Arts & Entertainment About The Draft
• Global Perspectives: Conscription Around The World
• Underground Press: Books & Online Resources
• Uniform Perspectives: Military Views On Conscription
• Selective Service Information
• Reforming Selective Service
• In The News
• About StopTheDraft.com
• nextinnovator (at) live.com
5 Minutes to Midnight
Acts of Conscience
Official Government Sites
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Books on the Draft
Italy Ends Conscription: Last draftees get early release
Jul 1, 2005 – From Associated Press
Rome (July 1, 2005) - The Defence Ministry gave clearance today for the last
Italians serving under the military draft to be discharged, marking the end
of a 200-year-old practice.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Global Perspectives: Conscription Around The World articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 7/25 IRIN: Myanmar: No more child soldiers?
• 7/20 Small Wars Journal: Why Bringing Back the Draft Makes No Sense
• 7/16 NYR: When the Army Was Democratic
• 7/12 The Week: America's jobs crisis: Is reviving the draft the answer?
• 7/12 Policy Mic: Millennials Prepare For Battle: How War Profiteers Are Sneakily Pushing for a Military Draft
• 7/12 United Liberty: Bringing back the military draft is a terrible idea
• 7/12 The National Interest: The Ricks Plan Needs Another Draft
• 7/12 America Blog: Let's draft senior citizens instead
• 7/12 Econo Monitor: The Illusory Economic Benefits of Bringing Back the Draft
• 7/12 The Atlantic: Why New Calls for Military Conscription and a National Service Draft Make Neither Moral Nor Economic Sense
• 7/11 Manilla Bulletin: McChrystal Calls For Reviving Draft
• 7/11 The National Interest: War Is Too Easy, but a Draft Is Not the Solution
• 7/11 Eschaton Blog: Bring Back National Conscription As Soon As I'm Past The Draft Age
• 7/11 Washington Post: Should the U.S. revive the draft?
• 7/11 The Guardian: Why bringing back the draft for military service would be a disaster
• 7/11 The National Interest: The Functions of Conscription
• 7/11 Bloomberg: A New, Improved Draft? No Thanks
• 7/10 The News Tribune: Former commander in Afghanistan says it's time to bring back the draft
• 7/10 AFP: Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft
• 7/10 Commentary: Why the Draft Won’t Work
• 7/10 Comedy Central: Military Expert Thinks We Should "Draft Our Kids"
• 7/10 Salon: No, America doesn’t need a national service
• 7/9 Journal Star: Column: Gen. McChrystal says it's time to bring back the draft
• 7/9 NYT: Let’s Draft Our Kids
• 1/15 Bowling Green Daily News: Book review: ‘Power and Struggle’ a journey through the history of protests
• 9/7 Triple Crisis: Stop the Draft
• 4/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Oh no! (for now)
• 2/17 Culture & Conflict Review: Muscular Nonviolence: People Powered Insurgencies Stage a Stunning Resurgence
• 7/30 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Well, at least we're going somewhere --
• 3/3 Gender Discrimination in Selective Service Obligation
• 3/1 CCW's Advice to Youth Facing Registration with Selective Service
• 2/19 A Champion of Liberty: I want you!
• 2/11 No Draft Registration, No Job
• 2/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Still Working On It!
• 12/25 It's Time to Update the Draft Registration Form -- and the Selective Service System (II)
• 11/12 Register for Peace: Getting Settled
• 9/29 Register for Peace: Can't call it yet, but hopeful signs -
• 8/11 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace
• 8/7 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace (an article for Yes! Magazine)
• 7/30 Selective Service Is Sued by Quaker: Draft Form Has No Way to Indicate Status as Conscientious Objector
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Gene Sharp in Translation: Strategic Nonviolence